- finely grated zest of 2 lemons
- 3 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
- 2 tbsp canola or vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 8 Turks free-range boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut in to strips
- lemon halves to serve
- small bunch of coriander to serve
- 1/2 cup grated fresh pineapple (or use canned, finely chopped)
- 1 tsp each grated ginger and garlic
- finely grated zest and juice of 1 tart lemon (preferably not Meyer)
- 1 tbsp tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1/2 cup (125ml) water
- 1 tsp Simon Gault Home Cuisine Chicken Stock
- 2 tsp cornflour
Chicken Kebabs with Lemon Sauce
Combine the lemon zest, tamari or soy sauce, oil and garlic in a bowl, add the chicken and marinate, covered, overnight in the refrigerator. Put 6–8 bamboo skewers in water to soak overnight.
For the lemon sauce, combine all the ingredients except the cornflour in a small saucepan, place over a gentle heat and bring to a simmer. Combine the cornflour and 2 tablespoons of water in a small bowl, stir into the sauce and continue stirring until thickened. Cook for a few more minutes, then set aside.
Thread the strips of chicken onto soaked bamboo skewers. Don’t overcrowd the skewers, but thread the chicken all along their length to prevent the skewers from burning. Grill or barbecue and serve with the lemon sauce, lemon halves and coriander.
From SIMON GAULT MODERN CLASSICS by Simon Gault. Published by Penguin Group NZ. RRP $60.00. Copyright © text, Simon Gault, 2015. Copyright © photographs, Kieran Scott, 2015.