- 650 grams beef or lamb mince (or a combo)
- 500 grams sausage meat
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 6 medium cloves of garlic, minced
- u00bd green capsicum, cored and roughly chopped
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 green chilli (optional), finely sliced
- 6 button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 Tbsp curry powder
- 1 Tbsp each of fresh oregano and thyme leaves
- u00bd cup breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- u00bd cup tomato ketchup
- u00bd cup each malt vinegar and brown sugar
- u00bc cup each Worcestershire sauce and water
- 2 tsp instant coffee
Bruce’s Mum’s Meatloaf with Coffee Sauce
This is my mate Bruce's' Mum's recipe and I think it’s awesome comfort food. When I first heard the mention of ͞coffee sauce͟ I was a tad alarmed, however the reality is, it’s sensational. This is so good served with mash on the side, leftovers make great sandwiches or you could cut slices up into small pieces popped in a container for kid’s lunches. Top tip: if you can’t find sausage meat, get some good quality sausages and remove the casings.
- Preheat your oven to 180C.
- Mix all the loaf ingredients except the olive oil with your hands.
- Form the mixture into the shape of a loaf.
- Take a large rectangle casserole dish; coat the dish with the olive oil.
- Place the loaf into the dish and bake for 1 ½ hours.
- While the loaf is cooking make the sauce, place all the ingredients in a pot and heat until the sugar is dissolved.
- When the loaf has been in the oven for 40 minutes, pour over the sauce and continue to brush the top of the loaf every 15 minutes for the remainder of the cooking time.
- Remove from the oven, carefully transfer the loaf to a board, slice and serve with the sauce.